How to Sew the Front Placket
It’s Sew Easy TV’s Shirt Dress Sewalong – Part 2
Tips for Attaching Interfacing
Pressing fusible interfacing to the fabric is easy if you follow these tips:
- Use a press cloth underneath the garment to prevent the fusible from ruining the ironing board cover
- Use a press cloth between the garment to save your iron and prevent burning the fabric
- When pressing the interfacing into place, lift and hold the iron – DO NOT SLIDE IRON
- Press and hold the iron for a few seconds and press firmly to prevent the fusible from coming unattached later on
You can use various fabrics for a press cloth. I tend to use a lightweight cotton or muslin fabric because that is what I typically have on hand. Cheese cloth is another option and Silk organza is another favorite.
Tips for Topstitching
- Stitch from the right side of the fabric
- Use cotton or silk thread for touch of style
- The triple stitch with a stitch length of 3.5 to 4.0 resembles ready-to-wear
- Lengthen the stitch length and test on a scrap of fabric to see which looks the best
Here are some of the supplies I used in this episode:
- I use a fusi-knit fusible tricot interfacing – a woven or sew in interfacing will also work
- Test the interfacing on a scrap of fabric to make sure it doesn’t show through
- Pressing Tools
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Seam Ripper, Measuring Tape, Tailors Chalk, Pins,
You will find links to many of these items on my Amazon shopping list.
Have you thought of sewing this shirtdress with a different fabric than the traditional cotton? This week’s episode of Behind the Scenes showed some fabric ideas for the sewalong including silk, velvet burnout, and more!
Here is the blog schedule for the season long sew-along with links to the tutorials and live Q&A on my blog (each link will open on the date listed). Season 14 of It’s Sew Easy had begun airing on PBS and Create TV; you will be able to watch each episode there first (depending on when your specific station begins airing the show).
Join us! A new video will upload on YouTube every Saturday. Sign up here and never miss a blog post and join the fun on facebook, instagram, twitter, and pinterest . We will share photos on the social side using hashtags #angleawolf #itseweasy #shirtdresssewalong
Can’t wait to see what you sew up! Leave your comments & questions below …
Behind the Scenes LIVE with Angela Wolf
Previous Blog Posts
Episode 104 Behind the Scenes LIVE 👗 Houston Quilt Festival Recap, Tutorial on using the Projector for Embroidery, Announcing New Events in 2019 and Getting Ready for Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Novi 👗 See you soon! xoxo AngelaLaunching Birthday Week Sewing...read more
Sewing News LIVE 👗 Angela Wolf talking with Ashley Nell Tipton 👗 Winner of Project Runway Season 14 👗 Ashley designs beautiful clothes for the full figured woman. She says: “My collection is a full figured collection for the woman in her 20’s or 30’s who is a chic...read more
Episode 105 Behind the Scenes LIVE with Angela Wolf 🦃 A short episode while we are all getting ready for Thanksgiving 🦃 Colin and Cody show how they embroider their hoodies, turkey day tips, a sneak peek at last weeks fabric haul, and schedule for next...read more
Episode 3 Sewing News LIVE with Angela Wolf talking Brother ScanNcut with Cindy Hogan from Cynthia's Embroidery 👗 Thanksgiving decorations 🌸 Announcing some new Brother sales & discounts 🌸 and of course there will be time for a live Q&A 🌸 👗 Be sure...read more
Episode 104 Behind the Scenes LIVE 👗 Houston Quilt Festival Recap, Tutorial on using the Projector for Embroidery, Announcing New Events in 2019 and Getting Ready for Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Novi 👗 See you soon! xoxo Angela...read more
Behind the scenes Houston quilt festivalread more