How to Sew the Front Placket
It’s Sew Easy TV’s Shirt Dress Sewalong – Part 2
Tips for Attaching Interfacing
Pressing fusible interfacing to the fabric is easy if you follow these tips:
- Use a press cloth underneath the garment to prevent the fusible from ruining the ironing board cover
- Use a press cloth between the garment to save your iron and prevent burning the fabric
- When pressing the interfacing into place, lift and hold the iron – DO NOT SLIDE IRON
- Press and hold the iron for a few seconds and press firmly to prevent the fusible from coming unattached later on
You can use various fabrics for a press cloth. I tend to use a lightweight cotton or muslin fabric because that is what I typically have on hand. Cheese cloth is another option and Silk organza is another favorite.
Tips for Topstitching
- Stitch from the right side of the fabric
- Use cotton or silk thread for touch of style
- The triple stitch with a stitch length of 3.5 to 4.0 resembles ready-to-wear
- Lengthen the stitch length and test on a scrap of fabric to see which looks the best
Here are some of the supplies I used in this episode:
- I use a fusi-knit fusible tricot interfacing – a woven or sew in interfacing will also work
- Test the interfacing on a scrap of fabric to make sure it doesn’t show through
- Pressing Tools
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- Seam Ripper, Measuring Tape, Tailors Chalk, Pins,
You will find links to many of these items on my Amazon shopping list.
Have you thought of sewing this shirtdress with a different fabric than the traditional cotton? This week’s episode of Behind the Scenes showed some fabric ideas for the sewalong including silk, velvet burnout, and more!
Here is the blog schedule for the season long sew-along with links to the tutorials and live Q&A on my blog (each link will open on the date listed). Season 14 of It’s Sew Easy had begun airing on PBS and Create TV; you will be able to watch each episode there first (depending on when your specific station begins airing the show).
Join us! A new video will upload on YouTube every Saturday. Sign up here and never miss a blog post and join the fun on facebook, instagram, twitter, and pinterest . We will share photos on the social side using hashtags #angleawolf #itseweasy #shirtdresssewalong
Can’t wait to see what you sew up! Leave your comments & questions below …
Behind the Scenes LIVE with Angela Wolf
Previous Blog Posts
Have you see the WOW package from CraftOptics? I met Jeff Caplan from CraftOptics a few years ago in Puyallup, his booth was around the corner from Kai Scissors. I was intrigued by the glasses and loved hearing the comments that people would say after trying them...
New Angela Wolf & Martelli Ruler Sets I am so excited to announce my new ruler set designed by Martelli. In case you are new to Martelli, they are a family owned business located in Florida. I have been testing some of their products the last few months and I am...
Episode 250 ~ At your side 🧵 Virtually! Unboxing Craft Optics & Sleeve Hack Behind the Scenes Episode 250 Included an interview with Jeff from CraftOptics and an unboxing of my new WOW glasses. Then I kick off Birthday sewing month with a sleeve hack for another...
Quick & Easy Christmas & Holiday Decor Quick Table Runner Instructions Fabric Requirements: a. Center fabric: Sew together seven of the quilted blocksmade in the 7 7/8 x 14 in hoop. Five of the blocks will havethe applique design and the two ends will be...
Birthday Week goes into 40 gifts to Christmas! Celebrating Birthday week then moves into Christmas and the Holiday's with Joe Vecchiarelli! Joe from French European Inc. has been so generous to the Wolfpack with awesome discounts and free dress forms and this year is...
Episode 226 At Your Side Virtually! LIVE with Jerry Granada designing and embroidering a snow globe. Supply list for Snow Globe Wall hanging 1) Brother ScanNCut SDX3252) Brother Luminaire XP1 (with upgrades)3) Brother Iron-On Fabric Applique Contact Sheet4) Brother...