SHANNON FABRIC GIVEAWAY! Are you looking for an amazingly SOFT fabric?!? SHANNON FABRICS was a sponsor on It's Sew Easy tv and continues to inspire us with gorgeous fabrics. This new batch of fabric is called LUXE CUDDLE and the colors are so fun! If you look...
10 Tips for Sewing Leggings, Sports & Athleisure Wear
2. WICK AWAY: If you plan on working out, look for moisture wicking fabric. Wickaway moves sweat to the outside of the fabric and quickly dries, so your sweat doesn’t soak the fabric.
3. FITTING: Athletic wear is usually fitted, especially leggings. Check the exact measurements on the pattern and compare to your exact measurements. You will want to have the outfit at least 1″ smaller than your size (more than 1″ depending on your size too). This is what we call negative ease.
4. NEEDLES: Use a stretch in the sewing machine, serger, and coverstitch.
5. THREAD: I use Wooly Poly or Wooly Nylon in the upper and lower loopers on the serger.
6. SERGER STITCH: A 4-thread overlock stitch is stronger than a 3-thread overlock stitch. I use the 4-thread for leggings, fitted workout tops, and sport bras. I use the 3-thread overlock stitch for loose fitting knits and items that won’t have a lot of stress.
7. SEWING: If you don’t have a serger, you an use stretch thread in the sewing machine. Wind the bobbin slowly and use the stretch thread for both the upper thread and bobbin with a straight stitch. Another option is using universal thread and a narrow zigzag stitch.
9. HEMMING: performance fabric can be slippery and tricky to sew. I steam press the hem and use a tailors clapper to create a creased fold. Then when I run the fabric through the coverstitch machine or sewing machine using a twin needle, the fabric lays nice and flat.
10. ADD A TOUCH OF MESH: Use a coordinating mesh fabric to leggings as an accent to hold your cell phone or inserted into a tank for a trendy style.